Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Dick Enberg: Miscalls, Errors & Non Sequiturs, Oh MY!!

Dick, Time to hang it up!

If you love tennis and know anything about it, you know in your heart of hearts that Dick Enberg needs to hang it up. For the love of Pete!! I have tried not to write this article for the better part of ten years, but I can’t take it anymore.

His commentary is outdated, inaccurate and mindless! Dick has the ability to detract from almost every point. How can we attract a younger crowd to the sport when we have the Crypt Keeper calling match after match?

They banned Bud Collins from calling matches years ago and the sport was better off without him. I’m not saying we have to get rid of him – he can do a few color stories now and again – but Pops has no place in the booth.

Try this for just one set:
Track the miscalls, errors and non-sequiturs and the sheet fills up quick! How about a Dick Enberg drinking game for every unnecessary “Oh My!”

I get it, he’s been calling tennis since the 1970’s and it’s comfortable for the networks to use him. But he brings nothing to the game, if he ever did to begin with. Calling tennis matches can use a bit of an edge.

Dick should stick with baseball, football, cricket or bocce ball, I don’t care, just give it a rest on the tennis. OH MY!!!

1 comment:

  1. Not sure what you mean about missed calls and errors. I haven't heard any. Dick Enberg is a great broadcaster, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete