Thursday, September 10, 2009

A Summer Off May Be Exactly What Nadal Needed

Rafael Nadal proves it time and again - Never count him out!

Very often, I'm not happy to admit that I was wrong, but this time is different. Plagued by a summer of knee issues, few writers thought they would still be covering Rafael Nadal during week 2 of the U.S. Open Tennis Championships, but here he is - playing Fernando Gonzalez in the quarterfinals.

Rafa’s knees have come through with flying colors and he’s done well to overcome an abdominal injury earlier in the tournament. He was pushed to the limit in a four set win over French strongman, Gael Monfils in the 4th round. Nadal split two of the most physical sets you’ll ever see against Monfils before taking him out in four sets.

Going back to today’s quarterfinal matchup - Nadal has easily beaten Gonzalez five straight times and today should be no different. Gonzalez has a 3 and 6 lifetime record against Rafa and two of those wins have come on hard courts, but that is ancient history. If Rafa holds up physically, he should win this one in straight sets.

In the other quarter, my pick to win the tournament has me a bit worried now. When I picked Juan Martin Del Potro to steal his first grand slam title away from Federer this year, I foolishly never thought he might have to encounter Nadal. I’m staying with Del Potro for now, but I may change my mind for the next round.

Of course I’m way ahead of myself right now – for Del Potro to get to the semis, he must take out Marin Cilic from Croatia. I don’t think that’s going to be much of a problem for him, but that’s why they lace up the sneakers. Look for Del Potro to cruise past Cilic in four sets and meet Rafa in the semis.

No comments:

Post a Comment